Monday, July 18, 2011

Sites to see








Yesterday we went on quite an adventure!

Our first stop was to the Irish Hunger Memorial.

I had heard of the Irish Hunger Memorial but once we stumbled upon it I could not believe my eyes.

I guess in my head I had pictured a statue, some sort of memorial explaining the famine and about the Irish who came to America because of it.

Instead we saw an amazing park/structure that was fascinating, serene, and somewhere I'd want to come back to visit.

We first saw a park like structure, then when we went around to find the entrance we saw that the park was elevated into the air.
(Borrowed the first image since I forgot to take any of the outside)

We found the entrance through a tunnel with phrases and sayings about the Irish Famine and other famines.

After the tunnel we entered into what looked like to be a cottage without a roof, then a path led us up through beautiful native Irish plants and stones with the counties on them. Once at the top, you have a beautiful view of the river and Jersey City or you can look down into Battery Park.

Check out this video, and if in NYC check out the Irish Hunger Memorial


Irish Hunger Memorial is located at Vesey St /N End Ave
New York, NY 10282 (in Battery Park)

No comments: